The 9 Best 4k Monitors That Help Prevent Eye Strain
If you buy something using the retail links in our articles, sometimes we earn a small affiliate commission. This does not impact the products we recommend.
We use computers for many reasons.
Some of us use them in our lines of work while others just can’t get in enough game time.
Either way, the longer you spend in front of a digital screen the more crucial it is that it’s design takes into account your wellbeing, and most importantly of all the care of your eyes.
Fortunately, the importance of eye care has been acknowledged for some time now by major tech brands who have developed ‘low blue light‘ and ‘flicker-free‘ technology to make glancing at screens for long periods less uncomfortable.
Finding a monitor with these features might prove a daunting task with so many tech brands and unique models on the market. So to save you the trouble we’ve taken the time to read through hundreds of reviews to find the best monitors that protect vision whilst at the same time offer a crisp 4k resolution.
This article provides a selection of 4k monitors that help prevent eye strain. If you want to learn about how to protect your eyes using the brightness setting of your existing monitor, check out our full guide here.
Dell U2720Q Ultrasharp 4K UHD
- Create an efficient workspace with the Dell UltraSharp U2720Q 27 inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) LED Backlit LCD IPS USB-C Monitor (7GZ651)
- Sleek design - 27 inch diagonal 4K UHD IPS screen with vibrant 3840 x 2160 resolution and thin profile that supports virtually seamless multi-display setups
- Exceptional visuals - see consistent, vibrant colors across a wide viewing angle enabled by In-Plane Switching (IPS) technology
- Experience simple, convenient connectivity - work with your most frequently-used devices with DisplayPort, HDMI, USB ports, and Audio Line out
Dell has built up a reputation of consistently making top-performing devices. And this Dell UltraSharp U2720Q monitor is a further testimony to the claim.
First off, it’s a 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 monitor that brings high-resolution images to a thin bezelled 27-inch screen.
It boasts a thin profile that take up less space on your desk. A design feature that won’t go amiss by the minimalists amongst us.
The VESA compatible screen can adjust its position straight from the stand by raising, swivelling and tilting in an unrivalled ergonomic feature.
IPS technology helps the monitor display a wide spectrum of colors whilst a 99% sRGB color gamut enhances picture clarity to another level.
Connectivity wise you can hook up this unit to various devices through its HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, USB port, and audio line out which makes it ideal for office work and a home office.
We Don’t Like
Phillips 328E1CA 32" Curved Monitor With 4K UHD
- Philips e-line 32" (31.5" Viewable) 328E1CA curved 4K UHD monitor with 1500R curvature and 3840x2160 pixels
- Curved VA panel with Philips Ultra Wide-Color technology displaying up to 120% sRGB and 97.8% NTSC color gamut and 1.074 billion+ colors for smooth color gradations and detail
- Mega Infinity dynamic Contrast Ratio for deeper blacks and brighter colors
- Effortlessly smooth gameplay with Adaptive-Sync technology
This is probably the 4K monitor to alleviate eye strain. That’s because the Philips 328E1CA has an ultra-clear resolution of 4K UHD on a beautiful curved design to give you a wider field of view.
This product also considers the users’ safety in its state-of-the-art design. Its proprietary LowBlue Mode setting makes sure that your vision remains safe from harmful blue rays and as such, this monitor has what it takes to transform your work for better productivity.
The screen also has an ultra-wide color technology. What this means is that you get a wider color spectrum. As a result, your monitor will display all the colors thus improving your work productivity.
We Don’t Like
Best 4K Monitor Under $300
Asus VP28UQG 4K EyeCare Ultra Responsive
- 28 inches 4K/UHD (3840 x 2160) with 1ms response time and Adaptive Sync/AMD Free Sync for immersive, crisp visuals featuring Display Port and dual HDMI connectivity; Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 170°(H)/160°(V)
- ASUS Eye Care technology lowers blue light and eliminates flickering to reduce eyestrain and ailments. Display colors is 1073.7 M 10 bit and maximum contrast ratio is 1000 : 1. It can allow a Adaptive Sync/Free Sync supported graphics source to dynamically adjust display refresh rate based on typical content frame rates for power efficient, virtually stutter free and low latency display update
- 5 Way OSD joystick delivers intuitive monitor controls so you can access features such as ASUS Game Plus on the fly. Digital signal frequency for display port is 120 to 120 KiloHertz horizontal, 40 to 60 Hertz vertical. Hdmi signal frequency is 24 to 99 KiloHertz horizontal, 40 to 60 Hertz vertical
- Compliance and Standards EAC logo, Energy Star, BSMI, CB, CCC, CE, CEL level 1, FCC, PSB, PSE, RoHS, TCO7.0, UL/cUL, VCCI, WEEE, WHQL (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7), RCM, TUV Flicker free , TUV Low Blue Light
This 28-inch monitor by Asus has a 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 resolution. This results in unmatched image clarity for excellent graphics.
The EyeCare technology lowers blue rays that might not only affect your vision but sleep as well. This model is, therefore, safe for users. Its lightning-fast performance guarantees multitasking and smooth operation. All these features make it a monitor worth looking into.
The AMD Free Sync technology plus 1ms response time make sure that your monitor handles gaming exceptionally well. Besides, it features an exclusive GamePlus setting to help you enhance color performance during gaming.
This monitor also comes with standard features such as a 5-Way OSD joystick and a few connectivity ports: dual HDMI 2.0 ports, Audio Jack, and Display port 1.2.
We Don’t Like
Best Of The Rest
BenQ PD3220U 4k With Thunderbolt Connectivity
- 32 inch, 4K, 3840x2160 resolution, advanced IPS monitor for wide viewing angle and stunning images
- AQCOLOR TECHNOLOGY: 95% DCI-P3 and Display P3, 100% of sRGB and Rec. 709 color spaces, 10-bit color
- LIGHTNING FAST THUNDERBOLT 3 CONNECTIVITY: Daisy-chain two 4K monitors for fast data/audio/video transfer, HDMI, DisplayPort, USB-C, USB.Brightness:300 nits
- PROFESSIONAL MONITOR CAPABILITIES: View files side-by-side with DualView. Easily compare/edit photos and videos in specialized CAD/CAM, Darkroom, or Animation display modes next to each other on one screen; HDR10 support; Out-of-the-box factory calibrated with report
BenQ PD3220U is a 32-inch wide monitor with an impressive 4K UHD 3840 × 2160 resolution. The monitor employs IPS technology to make sure you can view your data or images from a wider angle.
The unit also comes with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity for integrating as part of a multi monitor setup and the ZeroFlicker screen protects the user’s eyes from strains and discomfort.
The high-resolution and robust AQCOLORTM technology gives the user unmatched color accuracy. As such, your images will be realistic and also high-quality.
You are also able to adjust the monitor’s height and viewing position by easily and securely tilting or swivelling the stand.
The monitor also has HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, and USB ports. All these features make it an exceptional monitor.
We Don’t Like
Samsung U28E590D 28" 4K UHD LED Lit Monitor
- With stunning Ultra HD picture quality, PC viewing, gaming and more come alive with incredible lifelike detail
- AMD FreeSync and 1ms response time minimizes input latency and dramatically reduces image tearing and stutter during gaming
- An incredible 1 billion colors delivers detailed, natural looking, and extremely realistic images; Connect multiple Ultra HD devices, like PCs and gaming consoles via two HDMI 2.0 inputs as well as one Display Port input
- Watch your favorite movie or video in one window while simultaneously working on a spreadsheet with Picture in Picture (PIP) 2.0 technology
The Eye Saver Mode in the U28E590D reduces the blue rays that might harm your vision and affect your sleep. And with a sophisticated sleek design, this monitor is one of the most usable models on the market. PIP 2.0 technology also comes in handy during multitasking.
Gamers can also find this unit useful as it features AMD FreeSync technology that gives it a 1 millisecond response time, helping the monitor reduce image stutter and improve the gaming experience!
You also get HDMI 2.0 and 3.5mm audio ports and a DisplayPort. Connecting to the peripheral devices is, therefore, a total breeze.
We Don’t Like
Asus ROG Strix XG438Q 43" 4K HDR Display
- 43” 4K non-glare gaming monitor with 120Hz refresh rate for super-smooth gaming visual | Includes – (1) Display port, (3) HDMI, (1) Earphone jack, (2) USB Ports | VESA (100X100mm) Compatible
- Product dimensions | Without stand – 38.3” L x 2.93” D x 22.46” H | With stand – 38.3” L x 9.53” D x 24.85” H | Weight – 31.3 lbs. | Voltage – 100-240V, 50/60 Hz | Aspect ratio – 16:9 | True Resolution – 3840 x 216
- High dynamic Range (HDR) technology with displays 600 certification and 90% DCI-P3 Professional color gamut ensures exceptional contrast and color performance
- A pair of 10W speakers adds powers to audio performance and an included remote control enables full control of the on-screen display for quick adjustments and input selection
If you’re a gamer looking for a wider screen, then consider the XG438Q monitor by ASUS, a massive 43 inch wide monitor with an impressive 4K UHD 2160p resolution.
In addition to offering flicker-free technology upon a glare free screen the Radeon FreeSync stabilizes images on your screen. As a result, your gaming experience will be smoother whilst the HDR technology helps display a wider color spectrum.
What also makes this monitor perform fast is the low lag GameFast input. It, therefore, has what the user needs to run PC games with unmatched smoothness. And for these reasons, it is one of the best 4K monitors on the market for gamers.
We Don’t Like
BenQ EL2870U 4K Ultra Responsive EyeCare Monitor
- High resolution 4K monitor: 28-inch LCD TN 3840x2160 resolution
- Eye Care comfort for extended sessions: Proprietary brightness Intelligence Adaptive technology adjusts brightness for comfortable viewing; low Blue light and zero flicker technology prevent headaches and eye strain. This eye Tech makes images easy On your eyes
- Smooth game play: AMD Free Sync for smooth game play, eliminating tearing and broken frames; HDR technology offers greater brightness and contrast level for vivid images; 1 mms GTG; 60Hz; 10-bit displays 1. 07 billion colors
- Get connected: HDMI, DisplayPort input for multi-device connection. VESA wall mount
This is another example of a great entry level 4K monitor.
You can easily control the brightness and color temperature using the EL2870U’s B.I.+ technology which is a feature that helps minimise the stresses experienced by your eyes during long gaming sessions.
Another feature that you might love about this monitor is its smooth gaming capability. It has AMD FreeSync that removes image tearing and stutter to provide a better gaming experience, and this isn’t even mentioning the impressive 1ms response time.
As a clean freak the cable management system pleasingly allows your work station to remain tangle-free.
With all these features, BenQ EL2870U becomes a monitor that is worth checking out if you don’t have a lot of cash to spare.
We Don’t Like
Asus XG27UQ 144Hz 4K Adaptive Display
- 27-inch 4K (3840x2160) IPS gaming monitor with 144Hz refresh rate and 1ms (MPRT) for super-smooth gaming visual
- Supports Display Stream Compression (DSC) Technology for transporting ultra-high definition video streams across a single interface at high speed with no perceptible loss of visual quality.
- High dynamic range (HDR) technology with DisplayHDR 400 certification and 125% sRGB / 90% DCI-P3 professional color gamut ensures exceptional contrast and color performance
- Adaptive Sync delivering a seamless, tear-free gaming experience (G-SYNC Compatible in application process)
Staring at your computer screen for long periods can be damaging to the eyes. But not with this monitor thanks to the Eye Care technology by ASUS.
This is just as well as the ASUS ROG XG27UQ is a monitor that boasts a 27-inch screen with a 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 resolution and can easily handle intensely addictive gaming thanks to the feature of a 144Hz refresh frequency.
Furthermore, 1ms MPRT technology makes sure that your screen can handle intense imaging or gaming experiences whilst the Adaptive-Sync technology stabilizes images for an intense performance.
With unrivalled connectivity (2 HDMI 2.0 and 2 DisplayPort 1.2 ports) the ASUS-XG27UQ is ideal for gamers.
We Don’t Like
Acer CB241HYK IPS Ultra HD 4K
- 23.8" Ultra HD 4K (3840 x 2160) Widescreen IPS Monitor
- Response Time: 4ms, Pixel Pitch: 0.13725mm
- 2 x 2W Speakers
- Signal Inputs: 1 x Display Port, 1 x HDMI(v2.0)/MHL & 1 x DVI
If there is one feature that you will love about this monitor, it’s how easily you can adjust it to meet your ergonomic desires.
Aside from its accommodating design, the Asus CB241HYK has an impressive 4K UHD 3860 x 2160 resolution.
The IPS screen technology works excellently to display all colors, thanks to the 100% sRGB design.
With a 4ms response time, the screen works impressively fast and when considered alongside the robust connectivity (with its HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort, and DVI ports) it is ideal for playing movies or games.
And as a bonus, it comes with built-in speakers.
We Don’t Like
Which background color is best for reducing eye strain?
Usually, our brains can interpret information easier on a darker background. This means you should choose dark colors for your desktop background and screensaver if you want to reduce eye strain.
Are 4K monitors better for reducing eye strain?
Higher resolutions are great for reducing eye strains. This is because monitors with higher resolutions will display pictures and images more clearly.
As such, your eyes will not be strained to take in new information. 4K monitors are, therefore, ideal if you’re looking to reduce eye strain during long work sessions working.
What is the minimum screen size for 4K resolution?
If you’re looking for a monitor with 4K UHD resolution, you should consider the size of the screen. Smaller screens don’t necessarily need higher resolution to portray information accurately and so the minimum screen size for 4K resolution is typically 27 inches.
In what way do monitors protect the user’s eyes?
Each monitor is different in its design and technology onboard. And this is true especially when looking at how they protect your eyes from damage.
Some monitors use Flicker-free technology to seamlessly knit together graphics whilst others use a higher refresh rate to do so. You can also find some that use a low blue light filter and ambient light sensors to give your vision the protection it deserves.
What should you look for besides eye protection and 4K resolution?
There is more to look for in monitors besides settling on a 4K resolution and eye protection feature. You should make sure that your monitor is adjustable for viewing ergonomics and is of a size that allows maximum productivity.
Also, check to see if your monitor of choice performs fast and lets you multitask. And as a bonus, go for units with built-in speakers. You can also look for other technology that makes your monitor a top-performing model.
Looking for a monitor with anti-glare screen technology is beneficial for computer users who spend long hours working.
Even if you are a gamer, you need a monitor that does not affect the quality of your vision. Also, looking for a monitor with 4K resolution is a great idea if you want a clearer picture display.
The monitor models above have 4K resolution and anti-glare technology to protect your vision. They also work fast with their high-frequency response time.
As such, they might surpass your expectation if you’re working with them. And for these reasons, they could be a great addition to a home office or PC gaming setup!