The 6 Best Office Chairs For Sleeping During Breaks
You don’t have to be like George Costanza from Seinfeld if you to want to grab a quick nap during breaks at work.
Truth be told, there are a lot of productivity benefits to grabbing a “catnap” at the office – so much so that plenty of workplaces are encouraging their employees to grab a little bit of shuteye (15 or 20 minutes at a time) halfway through the day to give them a bit of a boost.
Employees that grab a quick nap report feeling more creative, more energetic, and able to overcome problems and obstacles with a lot less mental fatigue – all while pushing back against stress, pressure, and anxiety.
At the same time, sleeping in a traditional office chair is a bit of a nightmare.
Luckily though, if you choose any of the six office chairs for sleeping during breaks that we highlight below, you won’t have to worry about that anymore.
Let’s jump right in!
The Six Best Office Desk Chairs for Sleeping During Breaks
Our Pick - Duramont Reclining Office Chair
- ★ UNIQUE WATERFALL SEAT EDGE - The high back design gives you maximum support for comfort and convenience. The chair has soft padding and a waterfall seat edge for less pressure on the back of your legs so that you can stay comfortable even when you have to sit down for hours. Forget about uncomfortable office chairs that make it impossible to concentrate on your work. The Duramont executive chair was designed to give you uttermost comfort
- ★ FLEXIBLE RECLINING ANGLE WITH RETRACTABLE FOOTREST - You can adjust the office chair any way you need to so that it can accommodate all your comfort needs. The chair has a locking system that will enable you to securely keep the right angle you need to (90 to 155 degrees.) Also, you can pull out the footrest as a recliner for napping and more
- ★ HIGH-END MATERIALS - We make sure that we use the right materials for maximum comfort and style. The chair is made with bonded leather that gives it a unique and elegant style and makes it the perfect addition to any office. The bonded leather also makes the computer chair incredibly durable and comfortable for the best possible experience
- ★ STRONG SOLID CONSTRUCTION - The office chair has a heavy-duty Metal base and nylon rolling casters that make it incredibly easy to move around but also keep you steady when you need to work. The chair can withstand up to 250 pounds for best results and is very easy to assemble and set up
Easily one of the most impressive office chairs designed with grabbing quick naps in mind, the Duramont is super comfortable with picture-perfect ergonomics while in the sitting or sleeping position.
With the ability to recline almost all the way back, you’re going to be able to create the perfect sleeping platform with absolutely zero extra effort whatsoever. All you really have to do is swing yourself backwards and the tilting mechanism handles everything else for you.
As solid as they come, this office chair can support up to 250 pounds (even while fully reclined) with zero difficulty at all. Made out of high quality construction materials (including synthetic leather that is highly breathable, soft to the touch, and easy to clean) this is a chair built to last.
The high-back design also provides plenty of lumbar support while sitting or sleeping, and a “waterfall” style seat eliminates pressure points that can build up on the back of your legs.
Nearly silent when moving around, you won’t have to worry about waking up any of your coworkers from there naps, either!
Also Great - Dowinx Ergonomic Office Chair
- 【ERGONOMIC DESIGN】 Linkage armrest design gaming chair with USB cable power supply massager that can drive by a USB port on computer, car, power switch or even power bank. Best masseur for users who need to sit for a long time. Vintage leather style matches all locations.
- 【MULTI FUNCTION】 360° swivel and smooth racing caster wheels for mobility; 90°-180° reclining for working, gaming, reading or napping; 20° controllable rocking and retractable footrest for relaxing; Adjustable seat height, 350 lbs capacity; head pillow and lumbar pillow for all body shapes.
- 【FOR BOTH GAMER AND OFFICE WORKER】 Winged back provides multi-point body contact to share the pressure, save your spine and lumbar with ergonomic back and massage support. Lean your legs more comfortable with bucket seat design, the side wings frame has been thinned and contains more soft filling.
- 【STURDY CONSTRUCTION & ECO FRIENDLY MATERIAL】 Alloy frame covered in quality hand sewing PU leather and 10 inches high density foam for comfy. Upgraded LANT gas cylinder and mechanism ensure the use age of the chair.
One of the most uniquely designed office chairs money can buy, this sleeper model is a gaming chair on steroids.
The ergonomics on this chair are top-tier.
For starters, you have a high-back chair with over molded sides. This makes the chair look a little bit like something that would have been pulled from the front seat of a racecar, but the ergonomics keep you in the perfect position (and help you with your posture) without feeling tight or constricted.
The adjustable lumbar support is a dream come true, too. You’ll be able to configure that lumbar support to hit the right spots while you are sitting, never compromising your posture or your lower back health.
At the top of the back rest is a very comfortable pillow that can be detached if you don’t want it there. Most people end up keeping it, though, because it makes the fully reclining system such a great sleeper.
The foldout foot rest, the swinging armrests, and the super silent casters all help to make this one of the best office chairs money can buy.
Budget Pick - BestOffice Reclining Gaming Chair
- BUILT FOR VERSATILITY – Whether you’re gaming, working in your home office or running a meeting, our ergonomic chair will keep you comfortable and supported all day long. Lined with premium PU leather, and equipped with adjustable lumbar support and headrest pillow, your spine and neck are protected, while easy lock-tilt and angle adjustment relieve stress and pressure.
- BUILT FOR COMFORT – The PC Gaming Chair’s soft leather lining is thickly cushioned, with ergonomic construction, and an adjustable footrest for maximum comfort. The heavy-duty metal base swivels 360° on nylon, smooth-rolling casters, so you can move around your office, study room or meeting room with ease.
- EASY ASSEMBLY – Our chair comes ready to assemble, with all the hardware and necessary tools. With step-by-step instructions, you’ll be set up and ready in 10-15 minutes!
- SPECIFICATIONS - Gaming Chair Upholstered in Bonded Black Leather White and Black. Office Chair Dimensions: H(48.5"-53.4")*w27.8"*l23.6"; Total Seat Dimensions: L23.6"*w21.7"; Seat Height: 19.5"-23.2".
If you don’t want to spend a mountain of money on a new office chair, but still want something worth owning – especially something you can get a power nap on – then the BestOffice Reclining Gaming Chair is where you’ll want to spend your money.
Though technically described as an “gaming chair”, that just means that this chair has been built with picture-perfect ergonomics for folks that are going to be sitting for extended amounts of time. It works just as well at the office as it would in front of a gaming PC or console.
The high-back on this chair provides a perfect sleeping surface when you recline it fully. Sliding back is super easy, too – all you have to do is pull a lever, lean back, and then release the lever when you get to the reclined angle you’re looking for.
On top of that, a slight out foot rest can be deployed with zero effort at all. You can prop your legs up on that while you sleep in multiple positions (on your back or on your sides), giving you a lot of freedom to get the kind of nap you’re after.
The lumbar support is solid while sitting or sleeping in the built-in head pillow at the top of this backrest is super comfortable.
All in all, this is a great office chair for those that want to steal some sleep at work!
Hbada Ergonomic Office Recliner Chair
- ERGONOMIC RECLINER - Synchro tilt reclines the backrest increasing the angle between your torso and thighs for a comfortable, ergonomic sitting position. With multiple height, tilt, lift and lock settings for added adjustability, once you find your best position, use the tilt lock function to stay in place.
- BREATHABLE MESH - Contemporary ergonomic black mesh office chair promotes increased air flow, keeping you feeling cool and comfortable during long sessions. Designed to provide you all-day comfort with fully upholstered back, height adjustable seat, armrests and pullout footrest
- ADJUSTABLE OFFICE CHAIR - Waterfall seat cushion slopes slightly downward to help reduce stress on your legs. Built-in lumbar support and rotatable headrest help you been in right sitting posture for protecting your neck and waist.
- OVERALL DIMENSION - Overall size: 26.8"L x 26.8"W x 45.7"-50.4"D. Height range: 17.3"-20.5". Seat area: 19.7" x 18.5". Backrest: 22.4" x 18.5". Suggested height under 5'10"
Made with the modern office in mind, adjustability, sleep comfort, and overall temperature control are the real standout features with this office chair designed for napping.
In the adjustability department, you’re going to have the opportunity to control and configure pretty much every aspect of the way this chair is set up. You’ll be able to move the armrests, the backrest, the independent had breast, the extendable foot rest, and most every other piece of this chair until you get it exactly where you want it.
The breathable mesh upholstery material guarantees you won’t overheat in this chair, either.
Anyone that’s ever worked in a warm office knows exactly how hard it can be to get comfortable just working in heavy, thick chairs – let alone trying to sleep in one, too.
With this Hbada chair, though, that’s never going to be a problem.
The fact that you can recline the back of this chair all the way to 150° is a game changer. You’ll be able to create the perfect sleeping platform for getting a quick nap in whenever you like, bouncing back to your standard position when you need to get back to work.
Assembly on this chair is relatively straightforward. You’ll need tools you likely already have on hand (the process from start to finish takes about 30 minutes alone), but everything is really intuitive.
At the end of the day, this is a strong, stable, and relatively affordable option that works well whether you’re sitting or sleeping in the office.
DEVAISE Recliner Office Chair
- ERGONOMICS RECLINER: This computer desk chair features Ergonomic Human Curve designed backrest, eases pain on back for everyday use. Suitable for home office environment
- ADJUSTABLE CHAIR: Ergonomic reclining office chair with comfortable headrest and seat cushion help to release spinal pressure and make your position comfortable. Adjustable lumbar support can meet needs of people of different heights to reduce pressure
- RECLINING SYSTEM: Synchronized tilt mechanism provides smooth, effortless recliner and enables personlized fit, allowing the chair can be locked at any angle between 90-160 degree. 90 degree for working, and 160 degree with adjustable footrest for a sleep
- BREATHABLE MESH DESK CHAIR: This task gaming chair with breathable mesh material keeps your back and legs cool and comfortable. Offer a big adjustable seat and armrest with comfortable foam padding
Perfectly dialed in ergonomics is the main focus on the Devaise, something that it hits right out of the park.
The foundation of this chair is a design principle this company calls the “Ergonomic Human Curve”. Everything has been built to support good back health, lessening pressure points, and creating a chair that is super comfortable when sitting or sleeping but also one that boosts energy levels and productivity.
Almost every aspect of this chair is fully adjustable, too.
You can adjust the headrest, the seat cushion angle, the lumbar position and angle, and the extendable foot rest that is attached to this chair as well.
A synchronized tilt mechanism guarantees a super smooth reclining system that allows you to tilt back all the way to 160°, creating that nearly perfectly flat sleeping platform that is perfect for grabbing a quick nap at work.
The breathable material of this office chair is also going to help with temperature control. It’s nice not to have to worry about boiling in your office chair when you need to grab a nap, but it’s just as nice to know that there’s a bit of substantial padding in this chair so that you can stay nice and toasty in the colder months, too.
Keep a small pillow and a light blanket in your desk drawer and you’ll be able to grab some great sleep on this office chair with zero extra effort whatsoever.
As far as how it works in the productivity department, the chair tilts up to 90° (with infinite angle stops between 90° and 160° thanks to the locking lever that stops the reclining system) so that you can get work done comfortably, too.
Vinsetto Ergonomic Executive Office Chair
- ✅ERGONOMIC DESIGN: The reclining office chair is ergonomically designed and padded with high-density sponge to fit your body curve and give you a comfortable sitting feeling.
- ✅ADJUSTABLE FOR DIFFERENT USE: To fit your body size and to meet your different needs, this executive office chair has a seat height (19.25"-22.5") and tilt degree (90°-150°) that can be adjusted by a pneumatic lever.
- ✅STRONG SUPPORT: With headrest and lumbar pillow, the high back office chair provides you strong support for long-time sitting and working. The armrest and the footrest gives an extra place for your limbs when you want to rest.
- ✅360° SWIVEL BASE: This home office desk chairs is equipped with 360° rotatable seat and five castor wheels for you to move around without getting up.
Just one look at this office chair tells you everything you need to know about how comfortable it’s going to be when you want to grab a nap!
The design is super ergonomic, with lumbar support, a waterfall style front seat edge, adjustable armrests (that are fully padded) and an extendable foot rest that can be completely customized, too.
But the material that this office chair for sleeping on is what really sets it apart from the rest of the pack.
The outer material itself is incredibly soft and almost flocked, kind of like a great pair of sheets or a perfectly worn in T-shirt. It feels great against your skin, feels great when you lay down to sleep on it, and (somehow) still helps with temperature control as well.
The inner material is designed to complement the ergonomics of this chair. Made from high density sponge material (not that dissimilar from memory foam, the kind you probably have in your mattress at home) you’ll feel like you are sitting – and sleeping – on a cloud as soon as you pop down on this piece of furniture.
Almost every component of this chair can be adjusted and customized by pulling on a pneumatic lever. You’ll be able to adjust the seat height from between 19.25 inches to 22.5 inches and tilt the seatback from between 90° (upright and perfect for working) to 150° (almost completely flat so that you can get great naps in at the office).
The frame of this chair is very well-made and capable of supporting up to 330 pounds. That’s almost 80 more pounds of weight capacity than some of the other top options on this list. The casters are strong, the seat rotates 360°, and the movement mechanism is almost completely silent in operation.
Combine all of that with a fantastic warranty and a near legendary reputation for durability from this manufacturer and this chair quickly becomes a bit of a no-brainer.
Those looking for a new office chair that can boost their productivity and still get in a quality nap will want to consider this for sure.
What to Look for in a New Office Chair
While there are lots of things you want to zero in on when buying a new office chair designed for productivity and the occasional workplace nap, these are the features you want to focus on most:
Reclining Capabilities – Sleeping in the standard is next to impossible to pull off unless you are flat out exhausted, in which case you’re probably not getting your best work done to begin with. Look for chairs that recline as much as possible.
Height Adjustable – Height adjustability of your chair is going to make a world of difference when sleeping (and sitting) in this piece of office furniture. Look for something with (at minimum) a pneumatic height adjustment lever.
Customizable Backrest – A customizable backrest allows you to move things in and out on the back of your seat, adjusting the lumbar region but also giving you the ability to lay flat when you want to take a nap.
Good Lumbar Support – Speaking of the lumbar region, look for office chairs that have plenty of lumbar support so that you can enjoy better posture, better relief from pressure points, and a lot more comfort in your new chair.
Solid Ergonomics – The ergonomics of your chair should be really dialed in, with just the right amount of seat depth and seat width to feel like you are sitting in your chair rather than being squeezed or pinched by it.
Breathable But Soft – Lastly, it’s important to look for a chair that is very breathable to modulate temperature but still plenty soft enough to sleep on. Hitting that sweet spot is going to be a personal mission for everyone, but it’s something you want to knock out of the park for sure.
Ergonomic design and mechanical keys help reduce carpal tunnel syndrome pain. Here’s our rundown of the best keyboards to remedy CTS and why.
A new desk. An old plant friend. How can they co-exist without water, soil or plant material making a total mess of your work surface? Check this out.