The 6 Best Office Chairs That Help Manage Sciatica
Let’s be really blunt here – human beings weren’t built to leave the kind of sedentary lives we lead these days.
Your average office worker is going to spend at least 40 minutes sitting down commuting to work, anywhere between six and eight hours (or more) parked in an office chair, and then another 40 minutes sitting down commuting home – before sitting down at the dinner table to eat and then sliding onto the couch to watch some Netflix.
That’s just no way to live and our backs are absolutely wrecked because of it.
Thankfully, by choosing a better desk chair – one designed to fight back against sciatica and other back injuries – you’re able to prevent a lot of that pain and even reverse some of the damage.
The trick, though, is finding the best office desk chairs to help cope with sciatica and other back injuries in the first place.
But that’s why we have put together this quick list.
Let’s dig in!
The Six Best Office Desk Chairs to Help Manage with Sciatica
- Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair – Our Pick For Best Office Chair For Sciatica
- Mesh Managers Chair – Also Great Chair For Sciatica
- Amazon Basics Mid Back Desk Chair – Best Budget Office Chair For Sciatica
- CLATINA Ergonomic Rolling Mesh Desk Chair
- Hbada Office Task Desk Chair
- Killabee Massage Ergonomic Gaming Chair
Our Pick - Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair
- Your purchase includes One Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair – Size B, mineral color
- Chair dimensions: 41" H x 27" W x 16.75" D. Seat heights: 16”-20.5”.
- Tilt Limiter lets you set the recline range at one of three postures. Tension control lets you adjust the amount of effort needed to recline comfortably. Seat Angle Adjustment changes seat angle from neutral to engaged
- Try the Adjustable PostureFit Sacral/Lumbar support. Two individual pads flex independently and can be adjust to fit the curve of your spine
When it comes to top-of-the-line office chairs, there’s really nothing on the planet quite like Herman Miller.
Absolutely legendary in the business world, the Herman Miller Aeron chair is going to set you back a pretty penny (especially when purchased brand-new) – but the investment in your health and wellness is going to pay off almost instantly.
Beautifully designed with form and function in mind, you’ll be cradled and caressed by every contour of this office chair the moment that you drop into it.
You get plenty of lumbar support, are going to sit with perfect posture (compelled by the chair itself), and will feel as though all the pressure on your back and body has been released completely.
This is the best office chair money can buy, bar none.
Also Great - Mesh Managers Office Chair
- Breathable mesh seat with one-touch pneumatic seat height adjustment;Assembly Required , Meets ANSI or BIFMA standards
- Adjustable synchro tilt allows you to tilt at a 2:1 ratio for better circulation and weight distribution
- Lumbar cushioning supports your lower back and enhances the natural curve of your spine.
- Padded flip arms with heavy duty silver accents and dual wheel carpet casters
If you don’t have the money for a Herman Miller chair (and plenty of folks can’t swing it, even with an expense account at the office) this is where you’re going to want to focus all of your attention.
Similar to the Aeron we highlighted a moment ago, the look and feel of this chair is nearly identical – all at a price point that is a fraction of what you would have spent on a legitimate Herman Miller.
A lot of the same ergonomic design elements are featured here, though they have (obviously) been tweaked a little bit so as not to run afoul of patents and proprietary designs.
The chair take advantage of high quality technical fabrics, too.
These are carefully chosen to improve breathability, to improve overall support, and to make sure that your body is carefully cradled while avoiding common pressure points that can trigger sciatica and other issues.
It would have been nice to see a completely adjustable headrest on this chair (the way you do on other premium options), but all in all this is still a safe choice for those looking to land a chair that won’t break your bank account.
No, this isn’t quite as nice as the Herman Miller above – but it is still a fantastic office chair to fight sciatica all the same.
Budget Pick - Amazon Basics Mid Back Desk Chair
- Comfortable office chair with contoured mesh back for breathability
- Pneumatic seat-height adjustment; padded seat for comfort
- 225-pound maximum weight capacity
- Dual-wheel casters; user manual with assembly instructions included
When Amazon started to get into the office furniture game a lot of people thought they were going to be cheap knockoffs, super uncomfortable, and anything but a worthy contender for the title of “best office chair to resolve back issues”.
Truth be told, all of us that thought that way were dead wrong – luckily we learned how wrong we were almost straightaway!
This particular chair (the mid back variety) is one of the best budget options you’ll find on the market today if you are suffering from sciatica or any other back pain issues, for that matter.
Designed and developed with ergonomics in mind, this chair doesn’t look quite as futuristic as some of the other options on the list but it is just as (if not more) comfortable than all of them.
Available in both a non-mesh and mesh backed configuration, you’ll have to decide how important temperature control is when you buy this chair. Both of them are available for (almost) the same price point so that shouldn’t come too much into the purchasing equation.
The back itself is solid, strong, and supportive with bolsters on the side that help you to maintain a better posture while sitting. A pneumatic height adjustment is easy to fiddle with without fighting, giving you the opportunity to get yourself in the right position to work for hours on end without feeling cramped or tight.
The extra lumbar support included is fantastic. Though it isn’t “customizable” or adjustable the way that some of the other chairs out there are it still gets the job done.
Back adjustment panels can be tweaked and modified, though, which means you’re going to be able to get a little more customization than you would have with a standard budget option.
Throw in a one year warranty from Amazon and you’re looking at a real winner right here.
CLATINA Ergonomic Rolling Mesh Desk Chair
EASY TO INSTALL: This office chair comes with all hardware & necessary tools. Follow the desk chair instruction, It took maybe 10-15minutes.
RELIABLE COMFORT: Desk chair using high-density sponge cushion, more flexible, soft texture slow down the pressure of the sedentary.
MODERN ERGONOMIC DESIGN: This computer desk chair with a middle back design, rectangular ornament not only as decoration, It can provide good lumbar support makes you feel comfortable.
ENHANCED FRAME: High quantity office chair needs all the parts more reliable and sturdy, this desk chair does include a weight limit of 275 pounds.
If you really need to save money on a new desk chair sciatica will disappear with, then the CLATINA is the top option for you.
Even less expensive (significantly so, really) than the Amazon Basics option we highlighted above, there are quite a few trade-offs with this chair for the unbelievably low price point – but it is still a solid option that will protect your back, your health, and your posture.
No, it’s not going to be made out of fancy materials or have a space-age design.
In reality it is pretty plain looking and similar to what you find in schools, universities, or offices all over the world. This is the kind of chair that gets “bulk purchased” by organizations that want something halfway decent for their workers that isn’t going to break the bank.
The thing we like most about this chair, though, is that it is 100% BIFIMA certified from top to bottom.
That certification means it’s going to have a wonderful ability to correct your posture, can support up to 250 pounds (or more), and is going to make your sciatica issues dissipate almost instantly.
The mesh backing makes this very comfortable in warmer climates, and the curvature of the backing material itself is going to give you extra lumbar support, too.
Instead of locking you into position the way that something like a Herman Miller would, it’s going to give you a little more freedom of motion. You’ll have to stay cognizant of your posture when you are sitting in this chair (especially if you start to scoot forward), but this is still something worth checking out.
Hbada Office Task Desk Chair
- Simple & Elegant - Sleek design and simple adjustment mid-back desk chair. Match different decorative styles.
- Flip-up Arms - Space saving flip-up arms for different situations. When it is empty, you can put it under your desk
- Height Adjustable - Chair height is adjustable, you can adjust it to your prefer height and perfect the sitting position
- Tilt Lever - Push in to lock in an upright position, pullput toactivate rocking motion
Ideal for those that are working in smaller office spaces, especially those that need a chair that can tuck away when they are done, this task style chair “flips up” when you’re ready to sit on it and then folds back down for easy storage.
A mid back option, people that are of average height will really appreciate everything that the Hbada Task chair has to offer from a stability and ergonomics standpoint.
If you’re taller than 6’3” or weigh more than 250 pounds this might not be the perfect chair for you – but even then it might be more than serviceable until you have the budget for something a bit more robust.
The pneumatic height adjustment capabilities allow this chair to sit anywhere between 17.7 inches and 21.2 inches off the ground, giving you a little more control over the seated position.
That’s going to let you dial in the right amount of ergonomics just by adjusting your seat height, helping you to relieve stress and pressure on your lower back region while at the same boosting productivity on your workspace.
Overall, the design and aesthetics of this chair may not be for everyone (the unique two-tone black-and-white color scheme is pretty cool, but the design is definitely futuristic) but that should be priority number one when buying a chair to help your back out.
Killabee Massage Gaming Chair
- 【Built For Gaming And Working】Whether you use it to achieve gaming glory or accomplish professional projects, the Reclining Gaming Chair will allow you to do both in comfort and style. Dimension: Backrest Size: 21.7" x 33" (W x H); Seat Size: 21.3" x 20.5" (W x D); Seat adjustable height:18.9" - 23".
- 【Multi-Function】Recline function, video game chair back can be locked at any angle between 90-160 degree; Tilt locking mechanism; 360° swivel; Multi-direction smooth-rolling casters; Height adjustable seat(4"); Removable headrest pillow and lumbar cushion; Heavy duty 5-point base, load up to 300 lbs;
- 【Ergonomic Design】High back gaming chair features an ergonomically thickened backrest that fits the natural shape of the human back, providing protection and support for your spine. The removable memory foam headrest and lumbar pillows ensure you maintain good posture while playing games and provide great comfort for your neck and back.
- 【Material For Security】E-Sports gamer chair has a 4-level cylinder that certified by SGS; Durable PU leather padded with high density shaping sponge, comfortable, skin friendly and wear-resisting; 2.2mm thick steel frame, more sturdy and stable; Rubber casters that tested by 1000 miles rolling.
More and more office workers are embracing gaming chairs for productivity, and honestly the connection probably should have been made much earlier than it actually was.
Both groups of people (professionals and gamers) spend a lot of time parked on their backside in a chair, but gamer do so with a focus on ergonomics, performance, and comfort above all hours – whereas professionals (used to, anyway) focus on office aesthetics.
This chair shatters those boundaries completely.
A hybrid gaming and massage chair, there may not be a more comfortable and relaxing chair on the market today than this one.
Almost completely customizable from top to bottom, you get a backrest that adjusts from between 90° and 175°, a fully retractable foot rest, 360° swivel wheels, a built-in massaging lumbar cushion, and a USB powered massager that you can trigger whenever you like.
Can a specific chair really make a difference when it comes to back pain?
Study after study shows that a lot of our modern back pain is due to the sedentary lives we lead, spending most of our day on our backside and destroying our back along the way.
Do material choices really matter?
Seat material choices aren’t just important for aesthetics, but are also hugely important when it comes to supporting your back, your body, and your pressure points.
Are premium chairs significantly better than budget options?
The old adage “you get what you pay for” holds true in the office chair world, just like everywhere else.
At the end of the day, two office chairs really stand head and shoulders above the rest of the pack when it comes to helping you with your back pain and sciatica specifically.
The first is the legendary Herman Miller Aeron, which really needs no further explanation. There’s a reason why this chair has the reputation that it does.
The second is the AmazonBasics Mid-Back Leather Chair, a relative newcomer and more affordable chair that you’re going to want to zero in on if you don’t have the budget for the Herman Miller.
Go with those two office chairs (or any of the six options highlighted above) and you won’t have much to worry about.
You’ll start to see a huge difference in the way your back feels almost immediately – and it won’t take long for you to rebuild and restore your back, hopefully eliminating sciatica completely along the way!
A new desk. An old plant friend. How can they co-exist without water, soil or plant material making a total mess of your work surface? Check this out.
Rollerblade casters are a perfect addition to your office chair if you wish to protect your carpet or hardwood from damage. Here’s our three top picks.